A well-appointed, well-established local-style establishment which was probably rather grand in its 1950s heyday but now looks rather old-fashioned and a touch tawdry in places. Occupying a site once used as Napoleon's HQ, the original hotel was founded and named for a British businessman in 1841, and was entirely rebuilt in 1957. Centrally-located, it is within easy reach of the Egyptian Museum and shopping areas and attracts a largely Arabic clientele. The lack of a pool may deter Western guests.
A wide, unremarkable 1950s 12-storey white block with blue arched ground floor windows; most rooms have a balcony.
Property type: Hotel
Built Year: 1957
The interior is Arabic in flavour but looks a little dated; a white marble-floored lobby is edged in red and has arched mirrors on pillars; entrance to the casino is on one side and a coffee shop on the other. A spacious, high-ceilinged formal restaurant has a red decor and a rather garish blue marble wall at one end; a raised area with wooden tables and chairs serves snacks. Asian cuisine is a available in an oriental-style restaurant. On the mezzanine level is an unimaginative British style wood-panelled pub and a lounge area.
Limited to a pleasant 8th floor terrace which has a barbeque grill and an area for smoking shisha pipes.
Area Type: Located on the East bank of the Nile beside the busy Corniche Road in the Garden City area. Near similar properties and lots of small local shops.
- A la carte restaurant
- All-buffet restaurant
- Public facilities
- Internet terminal(s)
- WiFi Access